Jan 29th 2006
This Week in Tech 40
Hosted by Leo Laporte
TWiT 40 is one for the books. Woz joins us from a Starbucks in Vegas, and a couple of surprise guests drop in.
Records live every Sunday at 6:00pm Eastern / 3:00pm Pacific / 23:00 UTC.
- Even Mologogo can't track Mitnick down
- Woz is in Vegas to speak to Sharp - hope he doesn't say Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
- Woz has been on a road show for the Acquicore SPAC
- The SPAC team includes Gil Amelio, Ellen Hancock, and Woz
- Google is censoring its search results in China. Some bloggers are dropping AdSense, but Jason Calacanis says Google made the right choice. Woz agrees.
- NBC News Dateline says My Space is a haven for pederasts
- Rupert Murdoch's MySpace blog
- Kevin Rose is not selling Digg to Yahoo - but if he does, he's buying dinner
- Disney buys Pixar and Steve Jobs is now the biggest Disney shareholder (and is $3.7B richer)
- E3 bans booth babes - companies will actually have to produce good games to get attention
- Cell phone spoofing is taking a turn for the worse - now you can't trust the caller id or the caller's voice
- It's not a bug - it's a feature
- Woz has his first yellow laser
- Bringing Down the House tells the true story of the MIT Blackjack Team that took Vegas for millions
- Woz's watch has nixie tubes
- You can still get the Bill of Rights on a metal card from the EFF
- And you can bring screwdrivers on board airplanes now - unless you're flying El-Al
- Engadget says the next Intel Mac will be an iBook, but Leo's waiting for a sub-notebook
- Make sure your turn off your Wi-Fi before you board an airplane
- Leo's trying the new Blue Snowball USB mic - sounds very good
- The Botnet hacker plead guilty to selling botnets this month
- Kevin uses the Nokia 9300 smartphone - except he prefers EVDO to GPRS
- Is OS X less secure than Linux or Windows because Apple hasn't fixed known UNIX flaws?
- The famous Joy of Tech cartoon featuring Kevin Mitnick's first day back on the Internet