Apr 23rd 2017
This Week in Tech 611
Bezel Come Back
At the F8 Developer Conference, Facebook shows off its hot new augmented reality technology - which looks a whole lot like Snapchat. Apple is secretly working on non-invasive blood sugar detection, which could be a boon to millions of diabetics. Apple also wants to save the Earth by using 100% recycled materials in its products, covering its headquarters in solar panels, and manufacturing its own sweat. Wait, what? Google, which has made billions in ad revenue, is working on an ad blocker. The Samsung Galaxy S8 came out this week and has yet to explode. Bixby, Samsung's voice assistant, seems to be fizzling. According to Qualcomm, the first Windows PC using an ARM chip could be out later this year. In completely unrelated news, Intel has canceled the Intel Developer Forum. HTC's newest phone, codenamed Ocean, will have a squeezable frame and a questionable logo. Steve Ballmer's new site makes government spending more accessible. Another bad week for Uber. And McDonald's new uniforms highlight the techno-dystopia we all live in.
- Jason Hiner loves Revolutionary War themed musicals.
- Serenity Caldwell loves roller derby.
- Owen J.J. Stone loves his father and cherishes the stories that he recorded before his death.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Mark Zuckerberg promises to make the camera ‘the first augmented reality platform’
- Facebook debuts Spaces, its social VR platform that lets up to four users hang out in VR, available in beta for Oculus Rift, to
- Spotify and Apple Music coming to Facebook Messenger
- Facebook copying Snapchat's features reduces the competition to who has the stronger network
- Facebook releases timeline of murder suspect's activity
- The Guardian pulls out of Facebook’s Instant Articles and Apple News
- Video: How developers are building Facebook Messenger bots to make online shopping a lot smarter
- Apple promises to stop mining the earth, build all products from recycled materials
- Apple publishes new Earth Day videos explaining company's environmental efforts
- Someone at Apple specializes in making fake human sweat
- You'll know Apple blew it when it makes a fingerprint dongle
- Apple has a secret team working on the holy grail for treating diabetes
- iPhone Ownership Reaches All-Time High in United States
- Google Plans Ad-Blocking Feature in Popular Chrome Browser - WSJ
- The FBI Says It Can Finally Find Hackers Who Don’t Smoke Weed
- Samsung S8/S8+ review
- Samsung's Bixby will help you shop, unless you have Verizon
- Qualcomm: First Windows 10 ARM PC coming in the fourth quarter
- Microsoft's new push into education is the right move — at the right time
- Steve Ballmer’s USAFacts Uses Smart Design To Make Sense of Government Spending
- Uber’s C.E.O. Plays With Fire
- Brave Browser