Jun 11th 2017
This Week in Tech 618
Snakes vs Alligators
Leo is out this week, so Jason Snell takes the reins. At WWDC this week, Apple announced their Amazon Echo killer, the HomePod. They also announced big updates to iOS 11, the 10.5" iPad Pro, and the (at least) $4999 iMac Pro. Catering to a slightly less spendy demographic, Amazon announced that it will offer lower priced Prime subscriptions to people on Government Assistance. Uber had (another) bad week - capped off with Eric Holder's report to the Uber board.
- Mikah Sargent thinks Taylor Swift is fine.
- Harry McCracken is on Team Katy.
- Lisa Schmeiser has a blank space, baby, and she'll write your name.
- Jason Snell has Katy Perry on the counter in his kitchen.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
Bandwidth for This Week in Tech is provided by CacheFly.
- Here is what Apple Announced
- Apple’s new HomePod speaker is really cute in person
- HomePod first impressions
- HomePod vs. Google Home vs. Amazon Echo: What's the difference?
- Siri gets language translation and a more human voice
- Apple announces new 10.5-inch iPad Pro with A10X processor, 120Hz refresh rate, narrower bezels, shipping next week
- iPad Gets Overhauled Multitasking
- iPad Pro FAQ
- iOS 11 preview (Apple)
- iOS 11 Overview
- Amazon launches a low-cost version of Prime for customers on government assistance
- DND When Driving: Most Important iOS 11 Feature
- Do Not Disturb When Driving
- Apple debuts peer-to-peer payments on iOS
- Apple unveils ARKit for augmented-reality apps
- Apple teases iMac Pro with up to 18-core processor, AMD Radeon Vega graphics GPU with up to 16GB of VRAM, 5K display
- Apple updates MacBook line with new Kaby Lake processors;
- Apple’s new iMacs get a big horsepower boost
- Uber’s board meets tomorrow to discuss the ‘ugly’ Holder report and possible management changes
- Uber Board to Discuss CEO's Possible Leave of Absence
- Uber Fires More Than 20 Employees in Harassment Probe
- Uber Weighs Leave of Absence for Top Executive
- Uber CEO Kalanick advised employees on sex rules for a company celebration in 2013 ‘Miami letter
- Apple marketing executive Bozoma Saint John is joining Uber as its chief brand officer
- Uber has hired HBS’s Frances Frei as a top leadership and strategy exec to fix its management mess
- The armistice between Taylor Swift and Spotify is good for everyone
- History of Taylor Swift Streaming
- Katy Perry is livestreaming her entire weekend to promote her new album