Aug 28th 2020
Hands-On Mac 24
Writing Your Own Folder Actions with Automator
Now it's time to really make folder actions sing with your own custom code. You can do this in Automator or Applescript (easier), or using a scripting language like shell, python, or Perl (advanced).
Follow these steps in order:
Create a script with Script Editor or another script application.
- 1. In that script, write a handler that conforms to the syntax documented here for the `[adding folder items to] ' folder action. Your handler can use the aliases that are passed to it to access the image files dropped on the folder.
- 2. Save the script as a compiled script or script bundle.
- 3. Put a copy of the script in `/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts` or `~/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts`.
- 4. Use the Folder Actions Setup application, located in `/Applications/AppleScript`, to:
- a. Enable folder actions for your image folder.
- b. Add a script to that folder, choosing the script you created
- Leo Laporte gives you helpful tips to get the most from your Mac every week on Hands-On Mac!
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/hands-on-mac
Discuss episodes in the TWiT Community.