On this episode of The New Screen Savers for Saturday, December 2, 2017, with Leo Laporte and Fr. Robert Ballecer, SJ:
- Meet a maker-extraordinaire who creates costumes, armor, weapons, and sci-fi gear from scratch. Shawn Thorsson, from Thorsson & Associates Workshop, is self-taught and builds all his amazing works of art in his shop in Sonoma County. Learn how he does it, plus see examples he brought along including Iron Man, a TIE Fighter pilot from Star Wars, and the Schick Hydrobot.
- What is machine learning and how does a neural network work? SethBling explains how he created two neural networks, MarI/O and MariFlow, to play Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart.
- Which smartphone takes the best 'portrait' style photos? Jason Howell compares five phones to find out, the iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and OnePlus 5T.
- In our Holiday Gift Guide, Sam Machkovech shares his top virtual reality games for the Rift, Vive, Windows Mixed Reality, and PlayStation VR.
Thanks to CacheFly for the bandwidth for this show.
- Apple's had a shockingly bad week of software problems
- Updating to latest macOS 10.13.1 disables Apple's 'root' bug patch
- Date Bug in iOS 11.1.2 Causing Crash Loop on iPhones as December 2 Hits
- The 265 members of Congress who sold you out to ISPs, and how much it cost to buy them
- FCC Chairman Ajit Pai blasted everyone from Twitter to Cher for opposing his efforts to repeal net neutrality rules
- SethBling - YouTube
- MarI/O - Machine Learning for Video Games
- MariFlow - Self-Driving Mario Kart w/Recurrent Neural Network
- Shawn Thorsson, eponymous founder of Thorsson & Associates Workshop
- Pi-hole: A black hole for Internet advertisements